Saturday, January 25, 2014

Dardy, Naples to Messina Train, The reason you go first class, Judging and Labeling


I thought I'll save 20 euros and go second class on the Napoli to Taormina high speed train. A older man wearing  a city worker hat reached out for my ticket and then grabbed my luggage and started running towards a train.  "I'm part of the train system (he wasn't). We have to hurry the train is leaving." He loaded my stuff on the train and then I realized he was working for tips. I gave him 2 euros. 
But in my cabin was a teenager stretched out taking up a few seats sleeping wearing ear speakers plugged into an Ipad. And there was a family with loud kids in the next cabin.  Then I realized what the extra 20 euros was for.
30 minutes later. I said to the young man, "Do you parla inglese?" "Yes" he replied. Which began about two hours straight
of us talking but mostly me asking about him (His name is Dardy, he's 30, He works as a waiter in Roma and Monoco, he's traveling to
visit his family in Calabria.)  I got out my camera to shoot the passing landscape we were following the Mediterranean coast.
Dardy with excitement said, "Quick a picture of this island" then "Look out left window my dad designed that church". 
He said that during the grand prix in Monaco his resturant charges 450 euros for the 6 oclock dinner buffet and 750 for the
same buffet at 11pm.  Let me do the math for you. That's about $1100 for dinner, tips not included.  I said who would pay that?
Dardy said the rich. He makes $6000 in tips during that one month leading to the car race. I guess I can rule out the idea of seeing
a formula one race at Monaco. Visiting Italy was number one on my bucket list. Going to a formula one race in at Monaco or Italy is
also on the list. Dardy said he'll  send me a Facebook friend request when I get back to the USA.
So of course we got to be friends.  And my judging and labeling of Dardy was not only incorrect but it colored my perception.  And after all the lip I give people about that judging and labeling people.   I did that all in my head but it's nearly the same thing as speaking it out loud.


 The entire train is loaded onto a ferry.  The ferry goes across the narrow straight at Messina Sicily. It's about a mile or two across I estimate.  That's right the train-goes - on - a ferry.

This is the entrance to the Sicily side of the crossing.  It appears to be a gun fortress but I'm not sure. They haven't build a bridge because of political deadlock.

3 comments:

  1. That's crazy! Putting the train on the ferry! I can hear some guy saying, "Ok, so we can't build a bridge, we'll show them!"
    I love the story of you meeting Dardy. You have the knack of connecting with people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dardy took the ball and ran with it. He jumped over to my side of the seats to point out things on my map of Italy. The region he was from, where were were currently. He was excited about going home. It had been six months. The haven't built a bridge because some political wings does not want a bridge. It's not a technical bridge problem. I can understand. I think the Sicilian way of thinking might be different than the rest of the Italy. My gut feeling and a few data points I collected is that the Sicilians are a little more relaxed. But I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that last pic is definitely a gun emplacement....from back in the day I imagine. Nice photos....seeing a train board a ferry must be quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete