Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pompeii II, Additional photos

 I'm back at Hotel Isabella in Taormina.  This is the first time I've had WiFi so I can post photos out of my good camera here.
Here is some  background info I typed up on the train...
Pompeii Jan 20 2014 South of Naples Italy
I'm sitting at the Naples train station waiting for my train to Taormina.  I believe we make a stop in Palermo.
Yesteray I visited Pompeii.  It rained almost continuously and I didn't have a umbrella.
A little about the photography:
I took 145 photos, most of them carefully composed.  My skills from large format view cameras came in handy.  I have new Photoshop CS6 at home.
I can corrected for converging diagnols with that.  Many of the images will require that adjustment.
No tripods are permitted so they took mine from me at the entrance.  The lighting changed alot so was often asjusting ASA and F stops
and focus because I needed as much depth of field without the camera shake.  I could rest my arm against a wall or on the metal gates.
It was easy to compose for form and volumes on the LCD display. It was very similar to my view cameras.  It was helpful using the LCD display because
I could see things converted to two dimensions (versus looking through the optical viewfinder like you'd have on Leice M3).
The camera was getting wet. It's a new Fuji X110s. When it rained hard I kept it under my coat or staying under a few of the buildings that had overhangs.


  


 I was very lucky it was raining.  It makes the photos much better. When I get home I'll look them all over on my large monitor and make prints of the "maybe's"
I can picture the millions of photos all the tourists have taken.  Most of them in ordinary sunny day light. The range of illumination is far narrower on a rainy day.  So there might be less distraction from the high contrast like on a sunny day. The drawback is you could to use a tripod in order to get that  everything if focus view camera look. No tripods allowed here.



 Below is a photo of a water trough for your horse.   On the left is a row of stables.



3 comments:

  1. Paul, those photos are amazing. You are so right about the rain. Pompeii is so haunting and you captured that so beautifully. I think the rain helped there too by eliminating the tourists that spoil the stark desolation of that disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call David. In the rain everything changes visually and psych-visually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess they heard about the light fixture on the train and wouldn't let you in with the tripod. There are a few precariously stacked pillars in there. A good whack could cause a tumble.

    ReplyDelete