Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Italians have a sense of humor, Vulcano Eatna smoke

A few things I learned about Itatians.
1.They have trouble with left and right.  I'm not kidding, 4 people in a row pointed to the left and said, "Turn right" when I asked directions.  "Do you mean right?" I said,  "Yes, I meant right."  Do with that what you like. 
2. When you get off an Italian airplane they say, "Cera.  Buona cera.  Arrivederci"  (not "bye bye")
3. Italians have a sense of humor.  Ten minutes ago the receptionist asked me what room I was in. I wanted to practice my Italian, "Numero Ventocinque.  That's the first time I ever said that."   "You said that very well" she replied" and laughed.
Seriously though-  It seems that at their core Italians are exactly like Americans.  I get that feeling. When I say something in English and they don't speak English they can figure out what I'm saying anyway.  Same thing in reverse, I've asked for directions or about sme shoes in the window and I could piece together their Italian even though I hardly know 50 words.  You an tell a lot by the context, hand and head gestures and tone of voice.  I was at a scooter shop in Catania yesterday. 
I point all over and said, "Do you know where the banca is?  Banco."  And by gosh he started to point and tell about the turns and landmarks etc. No a word of English did he speak.
The clouds to the right are only 1/2 clouds.  The other half is vulcano smoke from Eatna. Can you see the brown?

2 comments:

  1. I like your descriptions of interactions with the people. That usually makes the trip extra special when you connect with people. I found that when we were in NM - everyone we met was so super friendly.. Wow! Does Aetna smoke all the time? Can you detect a smell to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary: No smell ... but I don't know why. You'd expect some sulphur. I DID collect some vucanic ash for you though. It flew 20-30 miles from the Aetna to the hotel roof where I gathered it. Pretty large pieces...if they don't get smashed in the luggage. About the size of smashed Corn Flakes.

    ReplyDelete