Thursday, January 23, 2014

Forza D Agro, The Godfather, Taormina Sicily

I rented a scooter from Luigi at California Rental today.  He said he was hesitant to rent a scooter to an American, they often damage them.  I convinced him that I have a lot of scooter experience.
He gave me the key to his shop.  He wants me to park the scooter in the shop at night so it doesn't get stolen.  I think he said its is son's business.  Photo: On the road to Forza d Agro Sicily

You might recognize this photo. Young Vito was hiding in a cart pulled by a mule past the bad guys that were on these steps, "Anyone found hiding Vito will pay. If you turn him over to us so and so will be very grateful".  For years I've wanted to see this town in person The Godfather movies are some of my favorites.
More photos of Forza d Agro
Many of the building have fallen in on the interior but they have stabilize them with posts and straps an concrete reinforcement so the exteriors don't fall.

 This is the view of the roadway and the fortress leading to Forza D Agro. 




Back to Taormina
This is a manned torpedo. Two fellows sit on in to steer it. Hopefully they bail out before impact.  Location: Main Park Taormina


 I believe this is a structure from several hundred years ago.  It's about 5 levels. The entire thing
is in bad condition. I was perhaps a place to lounge around.  All open.  I had my face up against a steel fence around the corner looking at a old fountain and I think an oven or two and I looked to the left and low and behold there were two parrots watching from 2 feet away.  No photo of that.

3 comments:

  1. Paul, I plan to go to Pontedera on my lonesome, see the Piaggio museum, then rent a Vespa for the day and bum around the area on two wheels.

    Did you take pics of the scoot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. DM
    THAT is what I wanted to do too! You will love that. It's ultra Italiano. I looked at my air line schedule to see if I had enough time to visit Ferrari and Piaggio but I couldn't schedule it in the remaining time.
    PR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos! So glad you got to see the GF sites!

    ReplyDelete